March 31, 2010

Aurora Music

I did a lot of experimenting with the Aurora music system, hoping to essentially build a soundtrack out of sound effects. I could make it context-sensitive and everything! But, alas, I don't have the musical knowledge to do it right. There's a lot of potential there, but nothing sounded quite good enough to work. I also had several technical issues that put everything painfully off-sync.

Still, I didn't want to abandon the idea entirely. I found an album of free music called Rooftop 120 that was filled with great ambient tracks, all at 120 beats per minute. I can set the rhythm of events in the game to the same speed, keep my musical sound effects, and use this excellent music as background. It sounds pretty awesome, and I don't think I can do better by building it piecemeal.

I'm now working on smoothing out the AI and adding maps, and then it's time to start building menus and completing the outer structure of the game.

No comments: