February 18, 2010

Dungon Master

In two days I'll be DMing my first game of Dungeons and Dragons! I've been playing 4th edition for some time, and I get one weekend to see what the other side of the screen is like.

Creating a weekend adventure has been an interesting and unique design challenge. I'm trying to create a somewhat story-centric adventure, and making sure that things make sense has been difficult. I'm also trying to figure out how to offer the feeling of freedom while keeping the total number of story branches contained (I don't have much time to revise the course of the story on-the-fly). I've already railroaded my players somewhat by requiring no mercenary or evil characters, essentially demanding that they act out of the goodness of their hearts.

Still, I'm pretty confident that it will turn out all right. I'm very much looking forward to roleplaying some of my NPCs. I think my players will appreciate the characters I've dreamt up.

No comments: