February 3, 2009

Halcyon --> Azure

Random project update notes:

If this project were large enough to merit the term, I'd say that the game is in beta. I hope to get in some real playtesting and iteration before I show this one off.

For the first time, I've decided to change the name of my game. Halcyon remains the working title in the code, but the official new title is Azure. The color in the game is dominated by that sort of sky blue, and since I added a cloud image in the background, it seemed like the more appropriate title.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoy playing this game. It draws me in much more than my others did. It could be that I'm just creating a game to hypnotize myself, and it won't do much for anyone else. I'm not sure that that's a bad thing.

At the end of a recent coding session, I was struck with an idea and immediately grew infatuated with it. Text. Quotes. I would include beautiful and inspiring text once the player has cleared the screen of motes (and has been rewarded with a beautiful and inspiring image). I'm currently trawling the internet for quotes that fit. Some fit in the game better than others, and I'm sure I'll have to get rid of a few that I like.

Lastly, I'm pretty satisfied with how the game has turned out, graphically, even if the player's orb is just a huge blue ball. Screenshot below.

No comments: